Nee Sern is...

really really sleepy

Friday, May 18, 2007

How to convince the unconvinced?

I had a brief moment of realization recently, when a friend mentioned that he will continue to vote for the BN because there is no viable opposition that can handle being in the government position.

It was then that it struck me, I'm really unprepared to "evangelize" those around me who are either:
1) genuinely satisfied with the present administration
2) complacent and going where the wind blows
3) hoodwinked by government propaganda
4) ignorant and maintaining status quo

I can't do much about those in the 1st category, but I can definitely do my part to convince those in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th categories that with a better opposition representation in Parliament, we will have better access to our wishes as citizens of this nation.

Recently I've been doing a lot of reading. It doesn't matter if it's pro government (all mainstream media and some websites), pro opposition (mostly blogs) or neutral standing. With more information, I am able to see more than what the government feeds me via UMNO/MCA controlled newspapers.

Nonetheless, I wonder now what is the best way to "evangelize" the non-believers. I don't want to convert them into blind believers of the opposition. In this respect, I choose to use the Buddhist concept of Ehipassiko (come and see). I wish to instil Right Understanding and not blind faith. The question is, how?!

No comments: