Nee Sern is...

really really sleepy

Friday, February 20, 2009

Foie Gras - what it really tastes like?

Referring to this letter from a concerned animal rights activist, the writer is protesting the visit of celebrity chef Bobby Chinn, presumably because the latter often uses foie gras (goose liver) in his cuisine. According to the writer, foie gras is made by force feeding geese to the extent of great suffering and even bleeding and death.

While I do not have the authority to comment on this, a quick check in Wikipedia reveals that several countries have banned production of foie gras by force feeding method, or even enacted a total ban on foie gras production and sales.

Having said that, I believe that there are still those connisuers who believe that true foie gras taste can only come from geese which have been force fed.

Nonetheless, I have not tried foie gras, and I don't think I'll enjoy it (I generally avoid any livers in my diet...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I posted an article and some pictures as well as videos on my blog regarding Foie Gras.

I never knew that Bobby Chinn uses Foie Gras in his cooking until I received an email from PETA Asia Pacific on the 18th of February 2009.

Some of the stuff mentioned by Shoba were the same exact things mentioned by Maria Fernandez Salom of PETA Asia PAcific in her email to all registered activists.

I am glad The Star published Shoba's letter in time. I am sure many other Malaysians have emailed the local media too about this issue.

Thank you Shoba for emailing and thank you to you too for making this post.

About the taste of Foie Gras, it doesn't taste yummy at all. I have eaten it since young (not always, only at special occasions) and the last time I had it was in 2003 in South of France and it was on that night that I found out how they make Foie Gras.

I quit after that and promised myself I will never ever eat it again. Please watch the videos on my blog and you will see how they torture these innocent ducks...

http://tatiyacob.blogspot.com/2009/02/peta-asia-pacific-letters-needed-say-no.html