Nee Sern is...

really really sleepy

Friday, February 22, 2008

Do you believe in The Secret?

According to The Secret, "ask and you shall receive".

The power of positive thinking is not a new concept. Buddhism says "mind is the forerunner of all things". Motivational gurus swear on "begin with the end in mind", "if you think you can, you can!" and many other such things.

I don't 100% believe in The Secret. Asking and hoping is one thing, but actually doing something about it is another. For example, if you really want to ace an exam, you don't just go around saying "I will ace the exam, I will ace the exam", ad nauseum... rather you should go do some intelligent studying, revisions, hanging out with smarter people, etc. so that you can actually have a better chance of acing the exam!

Similarly, if you want to get that dream job, you don't just go around hoping "I will get my dream job, I will get my dream job". You have to update your resume first, upgrade your skills and personality, and of course apply for the job damn it!

Finally, if you want to get your dream home, you don't just go around saying "I will get my dream home, I will get my dream home". You have to go look in the classifieds if anyone is advertising. You have to go ronda-ronda the area that you are targeting to see if there is anyone selling their house. You have to proactively call agents and owners and arrange viewing appointments.

Does that mean that The Secret is fake?

Not necessarily. The Secret is a good start. But it takes so much more than positive thinking alone if you want to be successful and achieve what you want in life. It takes action, perseverance, intelligence and, above all, sincerity. Believe in yourself and not in some external force that would mysteriously bring you goodies. Surround yourself with like-minded friends and soon you will notice a positive change in yourself. You will become more positive, you will find that things get done somehow or rather. You will have a good support system to help you achieve your goals. You will be happier...

No comments: