Nee Sern is...

really really sleepy

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What Defines You?

Many people go through life without knowing who they really are. For those who are stuck in the proverbial rat race, they go through their days lamenting about how busy they are at work, no time to do the things they like, no time for family, etc. But, think about it for a moment. If work does not define you, then why do you spend so much time on it? Why spend half your life doing things that do not inspire your passion?

For instance, Fooch is a self professed workaholic. The word "workaholic" brings about many negative connotations, coming from people who expound on "work-life balance". But, when I talk with him, all he can talk about is his work, and his passion for work! It's amazing to see that he's really inspired by what he does, and he doesn't treat his work as a chore. Rather, he treats it as his hobby, as his life's purpose. To Fooch, his work defines him.

For me, I don't think my work defines me. I think my Buddhist work, and my involvement in music is what defines me. Of course, that doesn't mean I do not strive to further improve myself in my career. But when people ask "Who Are You?" to me, I do not answer "I'm a Network Optimization Engineer in the Telco industry". Because my job title does not define me. Rather, I'd probably answer "I'm a practical and simple Buddhist dedicated to the inspiration of Dharma through the revitalization of Buddhist music".

So, the question to all you readers out there: What Defines You?

2 comments:

Jyon said...

I.N.C.O.V.A.R defines me...

Anonymous said...

I am white hat... Choleric-Sanguine-Phlegmatic... and also ENTP.

new word, i am random! :P