Nee Sern is...

really really sleepy

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Am I that blur?

My colleague asked me to read an email from A to B, where A is trying to push some job responsibility to B (which is not any fault of A's team). My colleague's concern was that A sounded quite harsh to B, while B was just trying to find a compromise to the problem that can be jointly resolved if A and B discussed it.

I looked at the email and said it's ok, cos in the work-sense, it's the job that matters. And therefore, emails should be read with no emotion.

Well, my colleague was very concerned about this, and telephoned B to find out. Well, B was quite unhappy with A's email. B felt as if all the responsibility is being passed from A to B. What to do?!

So I start to think, am I really so blur to all this "sensitivity"? Alex also labeled me as someone very transparent, very easy to read and manipulate. Am I really? I don't know. But I know that I'm very accomodating, too accomodating at times. Sometimes it really brings me to a certain level of tension, and yet I can't bring myself to shout at the person who is manipulating my kindness.

All this is part of self discovery I suppose. But what's more important than self discovery is self improvement. And I intend to pursue it. Life is more than just 1's and 0's. There are so many aspects to consider, 99% of which revolve around people. I need some people skills drastically!

3 comments:

Jean said...

No silly, you're not blur.. well, not blur per se.. You're trusting, sincere, honest and all in all, a true-blue good-guy. It's part of your appeal, and I'd say these are indeed, most commendable traits. You've got such a pure heart, and though some people would call that transparent, I'd call it genuine goodness. And to be honest, I would hold on to that.. there are very few good guys left in the world.

Following that, there are many bad guys out there who unfortunately, will take advantage of the fact that you're a nice guy. So yes, you would inevitably or at least, have a very high chance of being manipulated and used.

That's not to say you should stop being a good guy in order to avoid being manipulated, just be a bit more careful with the people around you, especially at work. Tread carefully and don't reveal too much that could be used against you. It's all about applying the right balance.. :)

You've got loads of people skills, dude.. just need to brush up on them more, I'd guess.. ;)

Nee Sern said...

thanks for the words of encouragement ;)

Jean said...

My pleasure.. anytime! ;) Thanks for your kind words.. :)